RSS

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Challenge: 2010-2011

Group registration is complete at TSC and my group is a big one this year. 38 swimmers deep! So big that I have an assistant coach come in a few times a week to make sure I stay legal on deck with a proper number of supervisors per athletes in the pool.

Last year's group was 29 deep but there were a few "older" swimmers who just were not interested in committing to the sport so there were usually about 18 swimmers per workout. Now I have 38 swimmers, just about all of them ready to get after it and train hard to swim well.

So how do I ensure that I make sure everyone is getting time and doing the kind of work that will make everyone better?

From what I studied from football coaches who are used to having very large training groups the key I believe is temp of workout. In the first couple of weeks here the energy around the pool has been great and it's up to me to design workouts in a way to keep the athletes moving and consistently challenging them to do quality work in a somewhat crowded pool.

I'm excited for this season to get under way I believe that the group is a little more talented and a little more dedicated this year then it was last and I'm ready to coach these swimmers up so they can get better and move up and give me an easier-to-manage group.

No comments:

Post a Comment